Info: Charging information for care in the home (Greenwich)

This is information given on the Council website on charging for care in the home (available on the council website)


Unlike health care, social care support is not free for everyone. Once you have been assessed as eligible for care and we have identified your needs, we will offer to carry out a financial assessment.

Will I need a financial assessment?

Yes. We will need to assess your financial circumstances to make sure we do not charge you more than you can reasonably afford to pay. Because everyone’s circumstances are different, we need different information from different people.

You may be asked to provide supporting evidence, such as copies of your pension advice or bank statements.

How do you assess my financial circumstances?

We will add up how much money you have coming in and then make an allowance for costs that relate to your housing and disability. This includes:

  • any capital (savings) you may have
  • benefits you receive
  • and income.

We do not include the value of your current home, but second properties are taken into account.

Government guidelines state how much you need to be left with before the council can start charging you.

Download the ‘Charging Information for people who are cared for at home’ guide